The Buffer Team
We're a fully distributed team, meaning that we'll be fixing bugs and replying to your questions from around the world!
The Buffer team works from multiple countries and continents. Living in a place that makes you happy is one of our core beliefs, and has stayed with the company since the beginning.
A commitment to culture and customers has helped Buffer grow from humble beginnings to now serving more than two million people every day. Our passion for support, happiness and quality flow through everything that we do.
The Buffer Vision
Our vision at Buffer is to build the simplest and most powerful social media tool, and to set the bar for great customer support. In addition to these product and service goals, we have a focus on building one of the most unique and fulfilling workplaces that exist, by rethinking a lot of traditional practices. Hop over to our Open Blog to read more about how we approach work.
Consistent Support & Improvement
We are working very hard and we iterate and improve our product again and again. We are always keen to hear your feedback and are thankful to hear about your experience with Buffer. You will find us online for the larger part during any day of the week. Hit us up if you need anything, we will be quick in responding and helping you out.
The 10 Buffer Values
In Buffer's founding months, Joel and Leo read, re-read and internalized Dale Carnegie's famous book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People." Many of the Buffer values are derived from his deeply impactful words.
In January 2013, when Buffer was just 7 people, we discussed what words define the culture we have and put together this list of the 10 Buffer Values.
As with everything we do at Buffer, this list of values is a continual work in progress.
1. Always Choose Positivity and Happiness
- You always approach things in a positive and optimistic way
- You never criticize or condemn team members or users
- You never complain
- You let the other person save face, even if they are clearly wrong
- You are deliberate about giving genuine appreciation
2. Default to Transparency
- You take pride in opportunities to share our beliefs, failures, strengths and decisions
- You use transparency as a tool to help others
- You always state your thoughts immediately and with honesty
- You share early in the decision process to avoid "big revelations"
3. Have a Focus on Self Improvement
- You are conscious of your current level of productivity and happiness, and make continual changes to grow
- You have a higher expectation of yourself than Buffer does of you
- You regularly and deliberately do things that make you feel uncomfortable
- You practice activities and develop habits that will improve your mind and body
4. Be a "no-ego" Doer
- You don't attach your personal self to ideas
- You let others have your best ideas
- You approach new ideas thinking "what can we do right now?"
- You are humble
- You always ship code the moment it is better than what is live on our site - no matter what
5. Listen First, Then Listen More
- You seek first to understand, then to be understood
- You focus on listening rather than responding
- You take the approach that everything is a hypothesis and you could be wrong
- You are suggestive rather than instructive, replacing phrases such as 'certainly','undoubtedly', etc with 'perhaps', 'I think', 'my intuition right now'
6. Have a Bias Towards Clarity
- You talk, code, design and write in a clear way instead of being clever
- You over-communicate, repeating things more times than you would intuitively
- You use more words to explain, even if it feels obvious already
- You don't make assumptions, you instead ask that extra question to have the full picture
7. Make Time to Reflect
- You deliberately find time for reflection, because that's where your life-changing adjustments come from
- You have a calm approach to discussions and ponder points in your own time
- You find time to jump out of the trenches into the higher level thinking that will move the needle
- You understand the value of patience and treat it as a muscle which needs practice to grow
8. Live Smarter, Not Harder
- You value waking up fresh over working that extra hour
- You always aim to be fully engaged in an activity, or resting
- You single task your way through the day
- You are at the top of your game, as you focus on expanding capacity of your mental, physical, emotional and spiritual energy
- You choose to be at the single place on Earth where you are the happiest, and most productive, and you are not afraid to find out where that is
9. Show Gratitude
- You regularly stop and are grateful for your circumstances
- You are grateful for the work co-workers do to push the company forward and help you move faster
- You approach customer conversations with humility and the knowledge that it's a privilege to serve these people
- You have gratitude for platforms, tools and open source that laid the foundation for the possibility of the company: "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" - Isaac Newton
10. Do the right thing
- You choose what's best for customers and the company in the long-term
- You correct the mistake even when no one would notice
- You strive to provide the best solution, even if that means foregoing profit
- You get excited about opportunities to help others